The University District is notorious for its uncontrolled intersections meaning that drivers must be attentive and take extra caution while driving in this neighborhood. Uncontrolled intersections refer to intersections that lack any sort of traffic control device, such as a traffic light, street sign, electric sound, visual signals, etc. Pedestrians must also practice safety measures when they encounter these intersections. Here are some helpful safety tips for drivers and pedestrians when travelling through uncontrolled intersections. Remember, safety first!
- Pay attention to your surroundings
- Slow down when approaching intersections
- Never assume a driver will yield the right-of-way
- Be prepared to stop
- Look for vehicles, bikers, pedestrians, animals, etc.
- Yield to vehicles already in the intersection or approaching from the right.
Here are some other general tips to keep you safe on the road:
- If you're biking, walking, or other, wear colorful or reflective gear
- Don’t text or call while driving
- Always remember to wear your seat belt(s)
- Pedestrians always have the right away
- Never drink and drive
- Only park in permitted areas