Friday, May 17, 2013

Ambassadors Reflect


See below what our Neighborhood Ambassadors have to say about their time with the Neighborhood Ambassador Program:

The first time I knocked on the door of an older couple, I was welcomed in.  To me that was out of my expectation, because I usually just talk with people at their front door.  More surprisingly, they offered me hot tea and carrot cake!!!  From that day on, every time I went out knocking I would stay at their place a little longer.  For me, they are like grandparents, and I think my presence made them happy.  I guess that is the most wonderful part of being an Ambassador; I’m not only working, but also giving and receiving love and support!


Working with the Neighborhood Ambassador Program has been a great experience.  It was rewarding to see the community of Missoula connect and expand.  The team of Ambassadors was great to work with.  Overall it has been a very enjoyable experience! –Nicholas Gilbert, Ambassador #15


During my time as a Neighborhood Ambassador I learned a great deal about the rights and responsibilities that both renters and landlords must uphold during the renting process.  I feel the ASUM Renter Center is a very valuable resource for students looking to live off-campus, and I wish I had known more about it when I first began renting.  As a large segment of the community, it is important for the University to reach out to the homeowners within the neighborhood, and the ASUM Off-Campus Renter Center works hard to achieve that goal. -Simon Hansen, Ambassador #6


As a Neighborhood Ambassador I have enjoyed getting to know the diverse residents of the University District throughout the last two semesters.  Trudging through my area with the weather ranging from snow to bright sunny days, I notice new details about my neighborhood every time I knock.  Like the diverse weather, every conversation from neighbor to neighbor is different.


I really enjoyed meeting people in my area and building a sense of community.  I also loved planning the events that we were to have this spring, and I can’t wait to plan even more in the fall!  The program has helped me grow as an individual through meeting and interacting with people I normally would not have the chance to talk to. –Hannah Toliver, Ambassador #4


This semester has been my first as a Neighborhood Ambassador and I have enjoyed it!  I’ve had a great time meeting everyone in my neighborhood, attending council meetings, and writing articles for the newsletter.  I’m so humbled to be a part of this community.  Thanks Missoula!—Courtney Anderson, Ambassador #7 


Being an Ambassador was a fun experience.  I enjoyed getting involved in the community and meeting new neighbors.


Working as an Ambassador has really allowed me the opportunity to connect with the community in a way I never could have imagined. People invited me into their homes, confided in me, and trusted me with responsibilities.  This experience has inspired me to work harder for the people within my community and reminds me to enjoy my space by sharing it with others. –Jessica Ferretti, Ambassador #12



Wow! I can’t believe the semester is already coming to an end. This year working with the Neighborhood Ambassadors has been truly awesome, and I’ve gotten to be involved in so many things. I’ve helped organize community outreach campaigns, written for and helped put together the monthly newsletter, attended community events and neighborhood meetings, helped clean up the University district, and gotten to know and speak with the wonderful residents of Area 9. I can’t say how much it means to me whenever I hear a positive comment from a resident. So many people are in support of, and are happy to hear that our program is going so well, and many even offer to help out in any way they can. To me, that is a true sense of community. The Neighborhood Ambassadors strive to bridge the gap between college renters and homeowners in the areas where they live, and this year we have been able to that by expanding our reaches and meeting new people. I truly feel lucky to have been a part of such a positive program, and really hope to see it continue!—Hannah Rees, Ambassador #9



Being a Neighborhood Ambassador has been a great experience.  It has given me an opportunity to enhance my communication skills and to meet a lot of really cool people. Most of the people I interacted with were student renters or homeowners within the U. District.  I liked being involved with this program because it enabled me to listen to many different perspectives about current or uprising issues in the area and also gave me a chance to take part in interventions aiming to promote the quality of life for many of the residents living in this area.  Not only do I feel like I have made a positive difference in the community, I feel that this program has had a positive influence on many different aspects of my own life. -Paul Summerlin, Ambassador #13

No comments:

Post a Comment